Owan University of Science and Technology

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Rt Hon (Chief) Blessing Sheriff Agbebaku, recently received a comprehensive proposal for the establishment of the University of Science and Technology Owan from the dedicated members of ‘Owan Conscience’. This initiative marks a significant step towards advancing education and fostering development in the region.

A group photo featuring Hon. ODK Iruobe and representatives of Owan Conscience

Rt Hon. Agbebaku, known for his unwavering commitment to educational advancement, expressed heartfelt gratitude to the chairman and members of the Actualization Committee for their meticulous work on the proposal. He emphasized the importance of this project, highlighting his personal passion for enhancing educational opportunities in Edo State.

Represented by his Chief of Staff, Sir (Hon) ODK Iruobe, the Speaker commended the team for their dedication, noting that their efforts have significantly streamlined the process of establishing the university. He acknowledged the pivotal role played by the committee, which has made the journey towards actualization less arduous.

In his remarks, the Speaker reiterated his commitment to making the establishment of the University of Science and Technology Owan his primary legacy. He assured the committee of his unwavering support and pledged to pursue the actualization of the project with vigor, ensuring its successful implementation for the benefit of the people of Owan and Edo State as a whole.

Furthermore, the Speaker pledged to personally present the proposal to Governor Godwin Obaseki, emphasizing the Governor’s keen interest in receiving innovative and impactful development ideas. He expressed confidence that Governor Obaseki would recognize the transformative potential of the university and lend his support to its establishment.

Earlier in the meeting, Prof Joseph Odigure, chairman of the Actualization Committee, provided insight into the unique nature of the proposed university. He explained that it would depart from the traditional university system, focusing instead on a dynamic public-private partnership model. This innovative approach aims to empower graduates to become job creators rather than job seekers, contributing significantly to the region’s economic growth and development.

As part of the proposal, the government’s role would be to provide 20 percent of the required funding, with private partners contributing the remaining 80 percent. This collaborative effort underscores the importance of partnership in driving sustainable development and ensuring the success of the university project.

In conclusion, the members of ‘Owan Conscience’ appealed to the Speaker to assist in presenting the proposal to Governor Godwin Obaseki for his approval. The presentation of copies of the proposal to the Speaker, through his Chief of Staff, Sir ODK Iruobe, marked a significant milestone in the journey towards establishing the University of Science and Technology Owan, heralding a new era of educational excellence and innovation in Edo State.